Wanaka Glacier Adventure
Enjoy a diverse day with spectacular mountain and forest vistas in this glaciated landscape
One of the most iconic landmarks around Wanaka is the magnificent Rob Roy Glacier. A massive wall of ice, clinging to the steep side of Rob Roy Peak- 2606 metres, The Wanaka Glacier Adventure takes you to view this stunning glacier in the morning followed by a gourmet lunch and a walk up to a full panoramic lookout over Lake Wanaka in the afternoon. Intriguing history, stories and breath-taking landscapes punctuate this fantastic trip.
One of our local guides will collect you from your accommodation before driving you along the western shore of Lake Wanaka and then we journey along the scenic Mt Aspiring Rd, discovering its rich history along the way. After crossing several fords, we arrive at Raspberry creek where the road ends and our walk begins. We make our way across the open farmland of Mt Aspiring Station, on well-formed trails alongside the beautiful Matukituki River. After approximately 1hr we reach the viewpoint opposite the Rob Roy Valley and take in a part of the glacier that formed the Matukituki valley descending from the majestic peaks above.
After returning to the vehicle we stop at a scenic lunch stop for our provided picnic lunch and refreshments. Your guide will then drive you to the nearby Diamond Lake Track. After approximately 1hr walking up through bluffs & forest, home to the fantail (Pīwakawaka), bellbirds (Korimako) and tree fuschia (Kōtukutuku), we will emerge at the eastern lookout with striking views of the winding Matukituki river feeding into lake Wanaka. Your guide will return you to your accommodation at around 5pm
- Actual walking distance: 11 kms return
- Actual walking time: 4.5 hours return
- Altitudes: lowest 340m, highest 780m
- Departure: 9am, return: 5pm
- Season: October – April
- Requirements: good strong walking shoes/boots, suitable layers of clothing, waterproof jacket.
- Bring a daypack and water bottle
- Lunch and refreshments are included
- Courtesy pick up from your Wanaka accommodation
- Grade: moderate fitness – Unsuitable for children under 8 years old
Prices: 1 October 2019 – 30 September 2020
- Ex-Wanaka: adult $315, child* $215
- Ex-Queenstown: adult $450, child $295
- Minimum 2 adults
- Lunch is included in the price
*note child is under 15 years
Prices October 1, 2020 – Sept 30, 2021
- Ex-Wanaka: adult $335, child $225
- Ex-Queenstown: adult $695 (extra adults over 2 pax: $435pp), child $300