Rob Roy Glacier Guided Walk
Our guided walk on the Rob Roy Glacier track in the Mt Aspiring National Park..
This track is currently closed for repairs by the Department of Conservation due to erosion damage from heavy rain. For alternative adventure ideas please Contact Eco Wanaka Adventures
Just 1 hour from Wanaka is the beautiful Mt Aspiring National Park. Within the park is the Rob Roy Glacier. It is a massive glacier beginning high above on Rob Roy Peak – 2,606 metres, clinging to the ever-steepening mountainside as it descends into the Rob Roy Valley occasionally dropping off in chunks off the cliffs opposite our lunch spot – spectacular and noisy!.
In other parts of the world, it may take several days or weeks to trek to places as beautiful as the Rob Roy Glacier, but Eco Wanaka Adventures are able to offer this experience in one day in a World Heritage area.
Eco Wanaka Adventure guides are the most experienced guides in this valley and know those secret places for that perfect photo.
The day begins with a scenic drive around Lake Wanaka, and into the Matukituki valley driving through several fords, stopping for photos along the way. From here, the guided walk begins through farmland with sheep and cattle, and then across a swing bridge into the alpine rainforest to emerge above the treeline into the alpine herb fields opposite four glacier faces – a perfect lunch spot and a base for further exploration of this magical valley, the jewel of Mt Aspiring National Park. Swing bridge, waterfalls, rainforest, crystal clear mountain streams and glaciers – the Rob Roy Glacier guided Walk has it all!
Following lunch the walk is all downhill back to the car park. The end of the day – a beginning of a lifetime memory.
- Actual walking distance: 10 kms return
- Actual walking time: 4 hours return
- Altitudes: lowest 377m & highest 780m
- Departure: 9am (Wanaka), return 5.30pm (Wanaka)
- Season: all year but weather dependent
- Requirements: good strong walking shoes/boots, suitable layers of clothing, waterproof jacket. Bring a day pack and water bottle
- Lunch and refreshments are included
- Courtesy pick up from your Wanaka accommodation
- Grade: moderate fitness – Unsuitable for children under 8 years old
- Ex-Wanaka: adult $315, child (under 15) $215
- Ex-Queenstown: adult $450, child (under 15) $295
- Minimum 2 adults
- Lunch is included in the price.
- Prices are valid: 1 October 2019 – 30 September 2020