Misty Mountains Heli Hike - a Wanaka Heli Hike & Walking Adventure
Your OWN unexpected Journey! Get an eagle’s eye view, and walk on the very set of Middle Earth on our Wanaka Heli Hike adventure!
Experience an exclusive 4.5 hour guided tour over “The Hobbit” and “Lord of the Rings” country.
Our Helicopter experience follows the Eagles flight with a landing on glaciated Fog Peak, to admire Mt Aspiring (Tititea) at 3033m, and it’s surrounding glacier cloaked panorama of the breathtaking Southern Alps. Amazingly we can see 3 Trilogy film sites from here. Skimming the razor back ridges, we fly and land on Treble Cone’s Towers Ridge.
We soak in the view between the Towers and then walk the very footsteps that the legendary dwarves, wizard, and our little heroic ring carrier traversed in their quest over the top of the Misty Mountains, as seen in the Hobbit movie. An unexpected journey through this very set!
On our quest, we descend 2 hours of guided hike from 2000m, traversing the ridge line, revealing huge rock pillars, canyons, cliffs and glaciers draining into rivers, joining the beautiful jewel blue lake far below. The laketown of Wanaka is to the east.
This downhill walk has amazing diversity, revealing unexpected wonders… Home of the fearless New Zealand falcon, and the curious kea, a unique, inquisitive mountain parrot.
Turn your fantasy into reality – Traverse the Misty Mountains!
This is a truly alpine experience made easily accessible, a REAL adventure!
- 3 Scenic Helicopter Flights
- 2 Alpine Landings – First on glaciated Fog Peak, for a pristine Southern Alps panorama, then to the film location site high on Treble Cone’s Towers Ridge.
- Requirements: Good strong walking boots, suitable layers of clothing with long walking trousers preferred (not jeans), and a waterproof jacket. Bring a day pack and a water bottle
- Walking poles are supplied and Gore-Tex jackets available if required
- Morning or afternoon tea and hot & cold refreshments are supplied
- Season: November to April, weather & snow condition dependent
- Duration: 4.5 hrs
- Grade: moderate – Unsuitable for children under 8 years old
- Departs 8.30am and 1.30pm
- Wanaka accommodation pick up is available for the transport to the helicopter base
- $840 per person (no child price).
- Minimum 2 persons to operate.
- Prices are valid: 1 October 2019 – 30 September 2020
(+) click on thumbnail below for larger image and slideshow