Alpine Lakes Heli Hike
Enjoy a scenic helicopter ride, a stunning alpine environment and a leisurely heli hike past emerald lakes
Fly to 3 pristine Alpine Lakes 1400m up, high in the spectacular World Heritage Conservation area bordering on Mt Aspiring National Park. This was Bear Gryll’s training ground in the series “Get Out Alive” Here the alpine lakes sparkle against the stunning backdrop of Mt Aspiring (Tititea) 3033m and its’ surrounding glaciers.
Experience the majesty and solitude of this alpine environment as you begin your 2 hour scenic hike through alpine tussock herb fields, past emerald clear lakes and along spectacular ridges. There is plenty of time to stop for photos and for stories told by your personal guide. Bear Grylls – Get out Alive contestants slept here in this very mountain location as part of the series.
At the completion of the hike, your helicopter returns and whisks you off to a high secret mountain location for a brief stop for photos, a perfect finale, before returning you to base or your accommodation.
- Season: November to April (weather & snow condition dependent)
- Morning or afternoon tea supplied
- 3 scenic helicopter flights and 2 alpine landings with stunning photo opportunities
- Requirements: Good strong walking shoes/boots, suitable layers of clothing, waterproof jacket. Bring a day pack and a water bottle
- Walking poles and Gore-Tex jackets available if required
- Duration: 4.5 hours
- Grade: average fitness – Unsuitable for children under 8 years old
- Departs 8.30 am or 1.30 pm
- Wanaka accommodation pick up is available for the transport to the helicopter base
- $840 per person (no child rate)
- Minimum 2 persons to operate
- Prices are valid: 1 October 2019 – 30 September 2020
(+) click on thumbnail below for larger image and slideshow